Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Things Of Importance...



We all do it. Find something we think may be useful, helpful or that is just plain pretty, and tuck it away somewhere. I was just going through some items for Flourishes that I got at an estate sale a few months back and was amazed that the family didn't want to hang on to these. Cookbooks! Chock full of stashed newspaper clippings and magazine articles that this lovely lady saved. Some of the books are so full of extras, that they have blown their bindings! Also stashed in amongst the clippings and written all over the pages are many hand written recipes.

Some of these books were probably the first she ever had as a newlywed. They date all the way back to 1936! I love these little treasures. So full of personality. She obviously loved to cook and took pride in what she did. I saw her kitchen. She had everything! It was amazing!

I will be keeping a couple of these books for myself, but have decided to resurrect my long neglected blog to share different little things I have found. I will be starting with some of the Recipes and Helpful hints this lady had saved and stashed away. She felt they were good ideas, so maybe we should give them a shot.

I know it's after Christmas and we are all baked out, but I love the name of these cookies!
So let's give them a shot. I also think that these are the cookies my Aunt makes that are my absolute favorite. She twists the two parts together and makes candy canes out of them!

Miss Lizzie Simpkins Sugar Cookies
1 cup of butter
2 whole eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup sour cream or buttermilk
2 cups of sugar
5 cups flour (plain)
1-2 teaspoon soda flavoring
1-2 teaspoon salt

Cream butter and sugar very well, add whole eggs and mix thoroughly. Add sifted flour mixed with the baking powder, soda and salt alternating with the sour cream. Divide dough and flavor half with almond flavoring the other half tint pink with a few drops of vegetable coloring and flavor with peppermint flavoring.

(taken from an old newspaper clipping)

No comments:

Post a Comment